Southampton International Boat Show, Britain’s biggest festival of boating, returned to the shores of the Solent after a hiatus, making the biggest splash ever.
Athletes from the British Sailing Team fresh from Tokyo 2020 opening the show in style!
The show opens with British Marine’s latest boat sales statistics provide strong evidence of the boatings recovery.
Sales in the first half of 2021 are a fifth (21%) higher than pre-COVID sales in 2019.
This boom is set to continue with nearly 80% of members of British Marine confident in their business’s current prospects, reflecting the strength of this recovery.
Opening day visitors were able to explore five brand new zones encouraging everyone to enjoy life in, on and around the water.
Newbies and seasoned enthusiasts alike took to the water on kayaks, paddle boards and RIBS and explored exciting interactive features giving them a chance to sample life on the water!
As well as getting people out on the water who may not usually have the opportunity, this year’s Show focuses on accessibility helping visitors to dip their toes in the water for the first time, or perhaps develop an existing passion.
Whether you’re a watersports enthusiast, boating beginner, or a seasoned pro, there is something for everyone.
Britain’s biggest festival of boating runs until 19 September and key features of this year’s Show include:
- Try-a-Boat – come aboard with the opportunity to glide through the waters in a high-speed RIB or float across the Solent under sail
- Island Scene Mini Cruise – fully equipped with sundecks and bars, the Island Scene is the Show’s very own mini cruise ship
- Watersports Zone: new for 2021, try a windsurfing simulator for an exhilarating addition to the day, along with paddle boards and kayaks
- Get Afloat – from dinghy sailing to paddleboarding, try something new or sharpen your existing watersports skills
- Try-a-Dive – if you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to breathe underwater, the Andark Try-a-Dive tank is your opportunity to experience a whole new world
- Festival Green – relax and unwind with a line-up of amazing music, acts and special appearances. This new zone is the perfect place to unwind with friends
- Seaside Storytime Ship – Listen to magical stories of water adventures and join readers from Southampton’s libraries