Vendée Globe leader Armel Le Cléac’h has continued to stretch his lead to 241 nm by this Wednesday evening.
Click image for a larger image
As the leading pair pass to the west of Cape Verde today, Le Cléac’h on Banque Populaire seems to have finally broken free of the Doldrums.
It could depend on how much distance Le Cléac’h can gain before Thomson is back up to speed and able to sail on starboard tack, where he has shown a speed advantage.
LEADING POSITIONS at 18:00 hrs UTC Wenesday:
1. Armel Le Cléac’h on Banque Populaire - DTG 2,226 nm - sailing at 17 knots
2. Alex Thomson on Hugo Boss - DTL 241 nm - sailing at 14 knots
3. Jeremie Beyou on Maitre Coq - DTL 793 nm - sailing at 9 knots
4. Jean-Pierre Dick on StMichel-Virbac - DTL 1,243 nm
5. Jean Le Cam on Finistere Mer Vent - DTL 1,421 nm
6. Yann Elies on Quigunnier - DTL 1,426 nm
7. Louis Burton on Bureau Vallee - DTL 2,670 nm
Fleet spread is now 9,060 nm back to Sebastien Destremau in 18th.
Eleven have now retired from the race.
11 January 2017 5:56 GMT