Following the announcement that the 2016 Vintage Yachting Games are to be held at the Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy (WPNSA), it seems my suggestion that some of the classes that took part in the 1948 London Games should be considered for inclusion has hit a nerve.
The Firefly (the '48 singlehander) and the 12sqm Sharpie are both possibles and the organisers have also received a request from the British Tornado association for the class to be considered.
With the cache of the 2012 Games venue and the ability of race organisation to stage big events, WPNSA obviously has the opportunity to make the 2016 Vintage Games into a much bigger event than has been the case of the first two events, which have been fairly low-key.
As well as the nine events already included, up to six further classes could be included, the current event list consists of the following classes:
1. Europe (Female)
2. Europe (Male)
4. Flying Dutchman
9. 5.5 Metre
For Weymouth in 2016 the following classes could be included:
10. Probably the 12’ Dinghy will be present (This time as full participating class)
11. The Firefly has requested inclusion
12. The UK Tornado class has requested inclusion
13. The 6 and 8 Metre classes are being contacted
14. There might be also a possibility for the Swallow (Golondrina) to be included
15. The 12 square meter sharpie is a possible candidate.
The idea behind the event originated in the Netherlands with Rudy den Outer and representatives of several Dutch class organizations of former Olympic classes - the ones forming the core events. The first edition of the Vintage Yachting Games was held in Medemblik in 2008, the second on Lake Como, Italy in 2012.
13 December 2012 18:32