With the top nine skippers in Les Sables, there are just two Vendee Globe sailors still racing, Tanguy de Lamotte (Initiatives-coeur) and Alessandro di Benedetto (Team Plastique). De Lamotte has 700 nm to go and di Benedetto 1,791 nm.
Wednesday evening de Lamotte reported hitting another Unidentified Floating Object, a piece of wood this time. It hit the starboard rudder blade, which had already been seriously damaged, but it didn't make things worse. In the coming days, Tanguy should see his speed reduce as a high pressure zone is on his way to Les Sables.
Click image for a larger image
Alessandro di Benedetto, has a similar situation, and also has to deal with a quiet zone. Currently 700 miles in the southwest of Sao Miguel in the Azores, Alessandro still growing at a moderate pace and doors seem to close before him. The Azores anticyclone is getting a bit stronger in the south of the archipelago, exactly where Team Plastique is. So patience for the two men, who must begin to find the time along this Atlantic quite long.
Vendee Globe - Rankings Wednesday, 13 February 2013, 22:00 hrs (UK)
1. Macif, François Gabart - Finished
2. Banque Populaire, Armel Le Clac'h - Finished
3. HUGO BOSS, Alex Thomson - Finished
4. Virbac Paprec 3, Jean-Pierre Dick - Finished
5. SynerCiel, Jean Le Cam, Finished
6. Gamesa, Mike Golding, Finished
7. Mirabaud, Dominique Wavre, Finished
8. AKENA Vérandas, Arnaud Boissières, Finished
9. Votre Nom Autour du Monde avec EDM Projets, Bertrand de Broc, Finished
10. Initiatives-coeur, Tanguy De Lamotte, 702 nm
11. Team Plastique, Alessandro Di Benedetto, 1791 nm
13 February 2013 22:33 GMT