As they unfold their strategy for dealing with a serious zone of light, disturbed winds the two Vendée Globe leaders Armel Le Cléac’h and François Gabart have the same 10 miles between them.
As they make steady progress to the final safety gate of the course, a little more than 500 miles ahead, it is their two pursuers, Jean-Pierre Dick and Alex Thomson who are now accelerating, already shortening their respective deficits.
Further weather outlook from December 28, 2012 at 12h UTC to December 29, 2012 at 12h UTC - Strong wind warning greater than 40 nds : Extreme East ROSS, West ALBATROSS : West to Southwest 40/45 kt.
And in Dunedin, NZ Bernard Stamm has not yet managed to finish his repairs but was forced to move anchorages during last night (daytime NZ) to find a more sheltered haven.
Vendee Globe - Top Ten Rankings Thursday 27 December 2012, 10:00 hrs (UK)
1. Banque Populaire, Armel Le Clac'h
2. Macif, François Gabart, 17 nm to the leader
3. Virbac Paprec 3, Jean-Pierre Dick 616 nm
4. HUGO BOSS, Alex Thomson, 982 nm
5. SynerCiel, Jean Le Cam, 1962 nm
6. Gamesa, Mike Golding, 2313 nm
7. Mirabaud, Dominique Wavre, 2357 nm
8. Cheminées Poujoulat, Bernard Stamm, 2642 nm
9. Acciona 100% EcoPowered, Javier Sansó, 2674 nm
10. AKENA Vérandas, Arnaud Boissières, 3003 nm
27 December 2012 10:37