Britain's John Pollard and his team took the lead in Monaco after three races in the SB20 at the start of the second weekend of the 29th Primo Cup – Trophée Credit Suisse in a well established 10 knots south-westerly wind, with beaming sunshine and calm sea, reaching 30 knots by the end of the day.
Pollard leads the 15 boat fleet from Jean Baptiste Bernaz of France, with Class President Edward Russo, France, aboard Black Magic in third.
Three races were started for the three one-design series (Smeralda 888s, SB20s and J/70s), whilst IRCs were given two races. The J/70 has managed to seduce many young sailors. Fun and fast sailing this 7-meter keelboat has delivered all its promises in the Monegasque bay.
On the results side, the Italian crew of Fremito d’Arja, lead the race by two wins out of the three races, followed very closely by Italian Spin One and Dutch Henri Lloyd, three top crew only 5 points away from each others.
In IRCs, with a longer race lay out of 8 nautical miles (as opposed to the traditional 5,5 nm for all other series), just two races were completed today. Britain's Checkmate’s crew of Nigel Biggs leads by far in added time the entire series. In second place is Eleuthera, skippered by Marc Pajot and his two daughters, last edition’s winner. The impressive Speedy, winner in real time, does not manage to hold its ranking due to its rating, and is finished 6th in the provisional overall ranking.
Primo Cup – Trophée Credit Suisse - Groupe IRC after 2 races
1. Checkmate, Nigel Biggs, (GBR) 2pts
2. Eleuthera, Marc Pajot, (NED) 6pts
3. Esparlica 3, Olivier Maubert, (FRA) 7pts
Primo Cup – Trophée Credit Suisse - Groupe J/70 after 3 races
1. Fremito d’Arja, Dario Levi, (ITA) 4pts
2. Spin One, Pietro Saccomani, (ITA) 8pts
3. Henri Loyd, Wouter Kollmann, (NED) 9pts
Primo Cup – Trophée Credit Suisse - Groupe SB20 after 3 races
1. John Pollard, John Pollard, (GBR) 4pts
2. Bernaz, Jean Baptiste Bernaz, (FRA) 7pts
3. Black Magic, Edward Russo, (FRA) 8pts
Primo Cup – Trophée Credit Suisse - Groupe Smeralda 888 after 3 races
1. Socca Team, Guido Miani, (MON) 3pts
2. Extravaganza by Vertigo, Marco Salvi, (MON) 9pts
3. Mascalzone Latino, Achille Onorato, (MON) 10pts
9 February 2013 7:33 GMT