With the RC44 Oman Cup race course just outside of The Wave Muscat’s marina complex, it was Katusha of Gennadi Timchenko, RUS, who relished the conditions at the events only day of match racing, finishing the day unbeaten.
New tactician Andy Horton took the helm and held off some tough competition including 2012 RC44 Match Race Champions, Synergy Russian Sailing team.
It wasn’t just the professional sailors who shone on the day where either the pros or owners can opt to helm; Brian Benjamin, GBR, joined the class at the end of 2012 having purchased the old Oracle Racing and for the first event of the season, class founder Russell Coutts is sailing with Team Aegir. Benjamin is helming both the match and fleet racing. The team finished the day with four wins and just two losses.
The RC44’s crash bows, designed to take an impact and not damage the hull, also came into good effect in Team Aqua’s race against Ironbound. Chris Bake had successfully shut David Murphy’s Ironbound out at the committee boat in the pre-start, Murphy dipped to try and release himself from the situation, but just caught Team Aqua’s stern. Ironbound were deducted two points for the damage, Team Nika were also penalised and deducted 3 points in another incident.
Thursday sees the start of four days of fleet racing for the RC44 Oman Cup presented by Oman Shipping.
Match Race Results - RC44 Oman Cup 2013 presented by Oman Shipping Company
1. Katusha (RUS 007) - Gennadi Timchenko (RUS) / Andy Horton (USA), 6
2. Aegir Racing (GBR 22) - Brian Benjamin (GBR) / Russell Coutts (NZL), 4
3. Lunajets Aleph Racing Team (FRA 17) - Hugues Lepic (FRA) / Mathieu Richard (FRA), 4
4. Synergy Russian Sailing Team (RUS 13) - Valentin Zavadnikov (RUS) / Ed Baird (USA), 4
5. Team Aqua (GBR 2041) - Chris Bake (GBR) / Cameron Appleton (NZL), 3
6. Artemis Racing (SWE44) - Torbjorn Tornqvist (SWE) / Morgan Larson (USA), 3
7. CEEREF RC44 SAILING TEAM (SLO 11) - Igor Lah (SLO) / Michele Ivaldi (ITA), 3
8. MAG Racing (POL 44) - Krzysztof Krempec (POL) / Piotr Przybylski (POL), 2
9. Peninsula Petroleum Sailing Team (GBR 1) - John Bassadone (GBR) / Gustavo Martinez Doreste (ESP), 2
10. RUS-7 Sail Racing Team powered by AnyWayAnyDay.com (RUS7) - Kirill Podolsky (RUS) / Serguei Chevtsov (RUS), 1
11. Team Italia (ITA 7) - Massimo Barranco (ITA) / Flavio Flavini (ITA), 1
12. Team Nika (RUS 10) - Vladimir Prosikhin (RUS) / Tomislav Basic (CRO), 1
13. Ironbound (USA 1) - David Murphy (USA) / Paul Goodison (GBR), 1
31 January 2013 8:42