A collision between Brazil’s greatest ever Olympian and the Extreme Sailing Series tour leader The Wave, Muscat, and the French Groupe Edmond de Rothschild finding their best form of the season, has set the scene for Sunday and left us poised for the final day for the 2012 season, with every podium place still open.
Leigh McMillan looked unstoppable – that was until Torben Grael’s Team Brasil slammed into The Wave, Muscat’s back beam in the penultimate race, causing damage not only to the boat but also some minor muscular damage to Omani bowman Hashim Al Rashidi.
Click image for a larger image
Leigh McMillan’s team The Wave, Muscat, who are the favourite for the 2012 championship title, started the day on the back foot after crashing into the British team GAC Pindar at the start of race two. The British skipper, who has London 2012 Olympic silver medallist Hannah Mills as part of his crew in Rio, turned it around going on to score three race wins and relishing the stronger breeze.
Morgan Larson kept it cool today on Oman Air, staying out of trouble and wrapping up the penultimate day in third place. Roman Hagara’s Austrian Red Bull Sailing Team – just one point behind Larson in fourth place – will be disappointed not to head into the final day in a podium position. But with the potential for 8 races tomorrow and 81 points up for the taking, the Act 8 leaderboard is wide open.
Extreme Sailing Series 2012 Act 8, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil standings after Day 3, 22 races
1. Groupe Edmond de Rothschild (FRA), Pierre Pennec, Arnaud Psarofaghis, Hervé Cunningham, Romain Petit, Bernard Labro 144 points
2. The Wave, Muscat (OMA), Leigh McMillan, Ed Smyth, Pete Greenhalgh, Hannah Mills, Hashim Al Rashdi 138.2 points
3. Oman Air (OMA), Morgan Larson, Will Howden, Charlie Ogletree, Andy Maloney, Nasser Al Mashari 125 points
4. Red Bull Sailing Team (AUT), Roman Hagara, Hans Peter Steinacher, Matthew Adams, Pierre Le Clainche, Graeme Spence 124 points
5. Alinghi (SUI), Pierre-Yves Jorand, Jean-Christophe Mourniac, Bruno Barbarin, Nils Frei, Yves Detrey 117 points
6. SAP Extreme Sailing Team (DEN), Jes Gram-Hansen, Rasmus Køstner, Pete Cumming, Mikkel Røssberg, Jonas Hviid 112 points
7. GAC Pindar (GBR), Andrew Walsh, Anna Tunnicliffe, Mark Bulkeley, Adam Piggot, Richard Peacock 93.6 points
8. ZouLou (FRA), Erik Maris, Philip Mourniac, Jean-Sébastien Ponce, Patrick Aucour, Bruno Jeanjean 83 points
9. Team Brasil (BRA), Torben Grael, Alex Welter, Diogo Cayolla, André Mirsky, Marco Grael 61 points
9 December 2012 8:00 GMT